The History of Norco Fire Company
On March 1, 1951, the first organized meeting of the Norco Fire Company was held at the home of Vaughn Anderson. The following personnel were present and are chartered as members of the Norco Fire Company: Vaughn Anderson, Melvin Guest Sr., Daniel Guldin, Arthur Miller, Sherman Hess, Charles Bechtel, Samuel S. Root, J. Gordon Harp, Ralph W. Ralston, D.K. Bullens, and D.K. Bullens Jr. At that time, the group appointed Vaughn Anderson as temporary chairman.
On May 2, 1951, the court decreed the newly formed Norco Fire Company charter and its incorporation. Monroe Fox was the first fire chief of the company, and Irwin Pike was the first president. In February 1953, the Fire Police were organized with ten men.
The ladies auxiliary was organized on April 14, 1953.
In 1958, the junior firemen were formed. Until Norco Fire Company was chartered, the residents relied on the neighboring fire companies to respond into the township for emergencies. The main concern was travel time of those companies to North Coventry, and the need for a township fire company became apparent.
In January 1952, four and one half acres of land along Rt. 724 was purchased for the future home of the department. The first fire truck, a Model A Ford, was donated by the Liberty Fire Company of Spring City, PA. The first purchased fire truck was a 1936 Hahn from Flourtown Fire Company in April 1954. The dedication of the Fire Company building with two truck bays and a social room was performed on May 20, 1956. In December 1958, Norco purchased our first John Bean high-pressure pumper with a tank capacity of 750 gallons. The junior firefighters purchased a 1947 International walk-in truck in January 1959, which they converted into an auxiliary truck.
In August 1962, we received our second John Bean high-pressure truck with a tank capacity of 1000 gallons. To serve the growing membership and community, a new fully equipped kitchen was added to the building in 1961. In the summer of 1967 we added a third John Bean, this being a high-pressure fog brush truck. Expansion of three additional truck bays, and a separate junior's room occurred in 1968. In 1970, we housed our fourth John Bean, this time a 75-foot ladder/pumper, with high-pressure fog. To fill the station, in 1976, we housed a GMC Emergency truck with a generator and other specialized equipment. In June of 1978, we needed to start replacing and updating equipment. Our first replacement was the 1958 pumper. A 1978 Ford John Bean high pressure with a 1000 gallon tank and an on board foam unit was designated for this purpose. In August of 1983, we replaced the 1962 pumper with a 1983 Ford John Bean Roughneck pumper with a 1000-gallon tank. To complete the fire company's building, an A-frame was constructed to top the building in 1986. In July of 1986, we replaced the 1967-brush truck with a 1986 Ford pick-up containing a Hale skid mounted pump unit. In September of 1990, we replaced the 1976 Emergency Truck with a 1990 American Eagle Rescue truck with a full set of Homatro Rescue Tools, and other specialized equipment for rescues. In April of 1993, we put in service a 2300-gallon tanker truck. In September of 1994, a new Sutphen tower truck replaced the 1968 ladder truck. The most recent replacements were for the 2300-gallon tanker truck and the 1978 Ford John Bean high pressure with a 1000 gallon tank and an on board foam unit. In 1998, Norco purchased a 2000-gallon Freightliner tanker. In 1999, an American LaFrance 2000 gpm pumper was purchased.
We have come a long way since our first Model A Ford. The most recent replacements were for the 2300-gallon tanker truck and the 1978 Ford John Bean high pressure with a 1000 gallon tank and an on board foam unit. In 1998, Norco purchased a 2000-gallon Freightliner tanker. In 1999, an American LaFrance 2000 gpm pumper was purchased.